Saturday, September 20, 2008

Today I...

I conceived and delivered my daughter when I was only 16 years old. Today she is twelve years old and is as kind as she is loving. She's an extraordinary young woman, whose very in-tuned with her surroundings. An articulate, and confident person who will give you her last but she is not to be crossed. I really like that about her. Some of her favorite activities includes socializing with friends, traveling, reading (She loves R.L. Stine) learning and gazing at boys. She is on the cross country track team and plays the cello.

I told you about her because I am 29 years old, gave birth to my daughter when I was a teen and my daughter has been talking about college for the last year. I broke one hell of a cycle. I take a lot of pride in this fact. You would to.

And this is what I saw today.

Today I ...

saw a beautiful, beautiful sculpted and perfectly toned black woman with the body of a runner. Her skin was the color of coffee, smooth and flawless. She was picture perfect. I have never seen a woman so exquisite. I spoke to her because I had to.

smelled someone's overpowering perfume, and I wanted to sneeze but it never amounted to anything other than a slight headache.

enjoyed watching my daughter prepare for her first cross country race. She's amazing.

heard children screaming and playing at the playground.

saw a black man who stood about 6' 7" tall, and weighted close to about 300 pounds (all muscle). He wore a bald head and his back pack weighted about 100 pounds. As I watched him walk up a hill, carrying his backpack, he really looked like an orge.

saw a little boy wearing a shirt that read, "I'm your worse nightmare." I responded by telling his mother that the shirt was intended for her because nightmares are known to follow people home at night. (I wonder will she allow him to wear that shirt again)

saw true teamwork. The winners of the purple team went back and helped their stragglers. It was really moving to see such involvement. I got teary eyed just by watching it.

Today I felt emotional as my daughter ran her 2 mile race. She never gave up, and stayed behind with another team mate in order to motivate her. She has one of the kindest hearts I have ever come across. She is my champ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An amazing post. You sound like a wonderful Mama and indeed you broke a cycle. Like you I was a teen Mama and too many times we only here about the teen Mamas who never break that cycle, we need to hear more voices like yours. Your daughter sounds like a confident well rounded young lady.

DeStouet said...

Thank you...she is. I worked very hard to make sure it was so, very hard.