Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Birthday, Greatness!

On Wednesday, November 26th, my oldest daughter became a teen-ager. That means thirteen years ago, I was alone in HUP hospital for about an hour before my mother, sister and her father came to show their support. Alone, for about a hour --about to give birth-- to my first child. But I wasn't scared as much as I was excited about starting a new chapter in my life. I remember not caring about who would show up, as long as the doctors and nurses were all capable of properly handling the birth. I asked the doctor (the one who would later give birth to my daughter) at least three times about his credentials. Personally, he seemed sort of amused at the questions but I was serious as all get out --and he answered every one. I wanted nothing to go wrong, and if (God-forbid) anything had, I needed to know that everyone involved were all on their "P's & Q's."

She was a healthy child, nursed until the age of one, co-slept until the age of six and after watching Earthlings last December, a vegetarian.

November 26th and she's a amazing young lady. Kind-hearted, intelligent, creative, funny, stubborn, willful, (I think you get the point.) For the last thirteen years, I have pumped into her what I grew up knowing nothing of. Nature, education, God and confidence, family, self-respect, self-pride, self-love.

Today, I celebrate her birthday. The day I gave birth to my dear daughter. I spoke to my womb today and remembered not being certain of what lay ahead but knew that I would always do whatever I had to in order to protect her. And I have kept my promise to her.

Happy Birthday, Greatness!

4 comments:

Somebodies Friend said...

And I am sure she appreciates all the protection that you give her without hesitation.

Something only a loving mother is capible of doing.

God bless you!

I am the sum of my parts said...

Blessings on 13 years of child-rearing and love! It sounds like you are raising a wonderful young woman. I pray that you have continued guidance and wisdom over the next eight years! My oldest has just turned 12 and it has been an interesting but joyful journey.

The Original Wombman said...

Many blessings to your daughter on here birthday!! Keep on doing a fabulous job. The work is not easy, but it is well worth it!

Miriam said...

Belated happy birthday! Sounds like a great lady in the making.