Thursday, November 6, 2008

They Can Not Bring You Down Unless You Give Them Permission!

They Can NoT Bring You Down Unless You Give Them Permission!

I stay far away from people and have never been one to apologize for it. I rather spend time alone or with a few close friends. I will make exceptions for parties, gatherings or any kind of huge event.

I've been visiting a few blogs lately, and there are some folks pretty upset about the fact that black people have supported Obama. And quite frankly, I do see their point. Obama has not given African Americans any kind of promise as far as what he is going to do to address their core issues. Obama failed to step up and defend his pastor when the media criticized him, and he said nothing when his wife was being burned to the stake. All of these are reasonable concerns but this is not what this post is about.

It's about you watching the words and spirits that you allow into your soul. Now and days, those with the best intentions will hinder you if you ever begin to think for a second, they know more about you than you do. In your quest to overcome, you have probably come up with your own set of valuable tools & ideas about what's important. You've, nine times out of ten have been paving your own way for a while. Please believe, this will never change. People have a way (I am not certain if they do it on purpose or not) of trying to convince you what is best for you.

Fuck them! Including & especially me, if I ever try to pull an I-know-you-better-than-you-do.

If you're like me, you've knew that you were destined for paradise before you ever had a glimpse of it. You smelled peace and caught a whiff of joy when you lived amongst the street sewage. You've felt the winds of change approaching from the west and have been tuning out the sounds of gunshots for far too long. Keep that spirit. Keep that eye that have been able to penetrate into the souls of every person you have ever met.

Being alone is NOT the same as being lonely!

Learn to tell the difference between the two for your own benefit.

Remember, only by the Grace of God, Creator of the Universe, you have been able to come this far. There will always be (especially in this highly opinionated country) someone trying to bring you down. Someone who doesn't want to see you succeed. Or someone who thinks they know what's best for you. Always!

What are you going to about it? What are you NOT going to do?

The Choice is up to you, my friend.

As Kanye West says, " They're will always be haters, that's the way it is. Hater ni--a's, marry hater Bitches and have hater kids."


*Note to Readers* This blog is geared towards people (especially children) who have and are trying to get themselves out of extremely abusive situations. We have an unique perspective about life. With that being said, this is not a post about bashing people including the blog owners I made mention of above. I have a harsh way of phrasing things and will eventually learn to taper this by reading blogs, essays and comments written by others that I deeply respect.

The bottom line to this particular post is that we live in a highly opinionated society BUT there isn't another soul that knows what is best for you.

Remember that!

9 comments:

Shanita Waters said...

Hi... this is my first time here. I find your blog to be very interesting. I'll be back soon.

I am one of the Obama lovers but not worshippers. Obama didn't speak directly to the black people because he is not going to be the president of blacks only but of all people. Had he started speaking solely to the blacks I beleive that would have made him look just like "they" want us to look - ignorant. There is a time and a place for everything. It's not what you say it's how you say it. I guess only time will tell.

As for you being an over commer - that's great. I've been through a thing or two in life and writing is my outlet. Whenever I feel something or someone tryign to bring me down, I usually get to writing.

Be blessed

Somebodies Friend said...

I agree with SW about not wanting to talk directly to the black folks. Obama will help the black folks as best he can, everyone knows that.

As for the rev. Wright, there was no reason to support the good (bad) reverend, the guy talks out the side of his neck and Obama realized he needed to distance himself from the reverend. Why should he have stuck up for the guy, that would have been like slitting his own throat.

And his wife getting burned at the stake was just a bunch of haters in the audiance that were using his wife to get at him. If Obama would have jumped into the audiance there would have been 50+ haters right there to tare him apart. They were trying to entice Obama into a fight that he could not of won. Even the secret service would not of been able to pull him out of harms way. And last but not least, Mrs. Obama told her husband to forget about them, that they were just blowing a bunch of hot air anyway, that they would eventually hang themselves, and they did exactly that. Now the haters are furious that Obama won, and are trying to shift blame, when their own actions were actually part of te reason that the blacks decided to vote the way they did.

I personally have been staying away from places that I feel threatened at, being alone isn't as bad as it once was, I am connecting to the Sunday crowd, that is a start.

I am very intuitive, it has saved my ass many times in these last few months.

Anonymous said...

That's funny that you put it that way, being able to penetrate into the soul of every person I ever met!

Looking back, it is so true, I could pick the haters out of a crowd from 100 feet. I have always been able to 'read' people, and now that I know why, that I have 'a gift' for doing so really seems like a blessing to me.

I will never back down from my quest to help those that deserve my love, and at the same time to avoid those that hate and want to bring me down.

It is funny how those that truely tried to bring me down, without a doubt, act like we are still friends and everything is 'all good'. why they think I am even buying into their delusion is way beyond my comprehension, it makes no sense.

And the part that makes the least amount of sense is the ones that tried the hardest to destoy me are the ones that are the most upset that they are not getting their 'cut' from the benefits of me 'not being destoyed'.

Make up your mind, you can't have it both ways, if they would of destoyed me there wouldn't have been anything to 'share'.

I know what it is, they are ignorant and think that now that it is the time of reaping that they are entitled, just because 'we're entitled'.

what ever!

I'll be ok, as you said 'I've made it this far' there is no turning back now.

DeStouet said...

Hi Shanita,

Thanks for visiting. I don't know why Obama chose to respond to some things and leave others alone. I also understand the anger of some of the people who believe that we should have demanded that he addressed some of the AA core issues.

In my opinion, they have every right to be disgusted with his choices.

However, this post was about a person who is overcoming a neglectful background must always watch people. Sometimes we are too quick to be trusting and other times, we hardly trust.

---------------------------------
SomebodiesFriend,

I agreed with a lot of what Reverend Wright had to say and I also believe that Rev. Wright himself voted for Obama. Who knows?

----------------------------------

Anonymous,

I added that line from Kanye about the haters because I thought it was relevant but I am NOT the one to scream about being "hated" on.

Who cares?

What I am beginning to see from visiting some of these blogs is that some people with the best intentions will try to tear you down. It's always been that way, I know, however since this blog is geared towards victims of abuse, I had to let them know that they can NOT afford to forget these things.

People who have overcome a lot in their lives have a way of forgetting certain survival skills the more they begin to live abundantly.

I made this mistake in Georgia one day. I had been an active member of a group that was geared towards following Jesus. It was made up of about 10 middle class women but felt the need to keep trying to put me in my place. We'll after the second meeting, I realized that the group was not for me. And had to let them know where they could find my ass at, in case they wanted to kiss it.

From your response, you seem to continue to engage in interactions with these people. Is that true?

As soon as I notice someone is bad for business, I evaluate the situation. If we can still learn something from one another, I let the little shit fly if it isn't too bad. However, if we can no longer learn anything from one another, I move on.

None of this is personal...we'll maybe a little. I too have an ego. But by now I know what works best for me.

Like I said, fuck them! Even me.

If I ever come off like I am trying to tear a person down or hinder their growth, that person should say fuck me. And let me go on my merry way.

Anonymous said...

Sadly you are right, there will always be haters... as I wrote recently on my blog, a haters job is to hate. For me that means I gotta just brush that off and keep rolling.

As for Obama, he may not end up doing 1 direct thing to benefit Black folks but his win is symbolic and has meaning. I say this as the Mama of a teenage son who was so inspired by Obama that he worked the campaign. Obama put something in motion that I believe is large than him.

Anonymous said...

I am not engaging with them, I run across the one that lives close by once in a while because we live so close to each other. The only other one I see is the one I can't get away from no matter what I do. You know why!

I see him in passing because I have no choice but to run into him. If it was up to me he could take a leap off a tall building for all I care, I can hardly sand to even look at him, BUT I have NO CHOICE! and you know why.

These are the ones I was refering to, I am not going and meeting with the groups that the other haters hang at, and I stay away from places that they frequent. If I see any of them by accident, I turn and run the oher way, period.

I know that they definately don't have my best interest in mind.

I didn't mean to come across like I was still hangin' with them, because that is not the case.

I was as much refering to fairly recent past experiences with some of the others, you know, a few weeks back, before it was decided to stay away.

I AM keeping my distance.

DeStouet said...

Blackgirlinmaine,

Agreed!

-----------------------------------
Anonymous,

I reread your first response and see that I had misread what it said.

Forgive me! I'm glad you are staying away from trouble. Stay Strong!

Somebodies Friend said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

So true...so true...I have read enough of your blog to know now that our backgrounds are very similiar, and as an abuse survivor, even without the explanation at the end of the post, I knew exactly what you meant.
It is so important to know that others have been where you've been, and that you can overcome it.

Thanks so much for creating this blog and sharing such personal experiences with people you have never met.

It means a lot.


P.S. I was inspired by one of your recent posts and blogged about it. Thanks for the inspiration!